Ibrahim Yasar Gok
Suleyman Demirel University, The Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, Department of Banking and Finance, Isparta/TURKEY
Kastamonu University, The Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, Department of Business Administration, Kastamonu/TURKEY
2nd International Scientific Conference – EMAN 2018 – Economics and Management: How to Cope With Disrupted Times, Ljubljana – Slovenia, March 22, 2018, CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS published by: Association of Economists and Managers of the Balkans, Belgrade, Serbia; Faculty of Management Koper, Slovenia; Doba Business School – Maribor, Slovenia; Integrated Business Faculty – Skopje, Macedonia; Faculty of Management – Zajecar, Serbia, ISBN 978-86-80194-11-0
Since the general elections are a source of political uncertainty, in this study, we examine the relationship between Turkish general elections and the stock market returns. By conducting an event study analysis, the effects of three general elections are investigated in the period of 01/02/2010-12/31/2017. The results of the event study analysis indicate that the general election in June 2015 has a significant negative impact on the stock market. Since the coalition talks fail after the election, a new general election is held in November 2015 and this election causes a significant positive impact on the stock market. Moreover, after applying GARCH (1,1) model, we obtain a GARCH volatility series and we detect that the June 2015 election is associated with a high volatility level. We conclude that although the effects of the elections on returns are apparent, the effects are short-lived and the political stability is an important determinant for investors.
political risk, stock market, event study analysis, return, volatility
- Aggarwal, R., Inclan, C., & Leal, R. (1999). Volatility in Emerging Markets, The Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 34(1), 33-55.
- Al Khattab, A., Anchor, J., & Davies, E. (2007). Managerial Perceptions of Political Risk in International Projects, International Journal of Project Management, 25(7), 734-743.
- Beaulieu, M-C, Cosset, J-C, & Essaddam, N. (2006). Political Uncertainty and Stock Market Returns: Evidence from the 1995 Quebec Referendum, Canadian Journal of Economics, 39(2), 621-642.
- Bechtel, M. M. (2009). The Political Sources of Systematic Investment Risk: Lessons from a Consensus Democracy, The Journal of Politics, 71(2), 661-677.
- Bloomberg (2017). https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-11/turkey-s-economy-grows-faster-than-expected-in-third-quarter (Date of Access: 02/04/2018).
- Bollerslev, T. (1986). Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity, Journal of Econometrics, 31(3), 282-306.
- CBRT (2018). https://evds2.tcmb.gov.tr/index.php?/evds/serieMarket/#collapse_5 (Date of Access: 02/03/2018).
- Chan, Y-C., & Wei, K. C. J. (1996). Political Risk and Stock Price Volatility: The Case of Hong Kong, Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, 4, 259-275.
- Chen, A. H., & Siems, T. F. (2004). The Effects of Terrorism on Global Capital Markets, European Journal of Political Economy, 20(2), 349-366.
- Chiu, C-L, Chen, C-D, & Tang, W-W (2006). Political Elections and Foreign Investor Trading in South Korea’s Financial Markets, Applied Economics Letters, 12(11), 673-677.
- CNN (2017). https://money.cnn.com/2017/12/27/investing/best-stock-markets-2017-world/index.html (Date of access: 02/02/2018).
- Cam, A. V. (2014). Politik Riskin Firma Değeri ile İlişkisi: İMKB’ye Kayıtlı Firmalar Üzerinde Bir Uygulama, Doğuş Üniversitesi Dergisi, 15(1), 109-122.
- Diamonte, R. L., Liew, J. M., & Stevens, R. L. (1996). Political Risk in Emerging and Developed Markets, Financial Analysts Journal, 52(3), 71-76.
- Erkocak, H. E. and Cam, A.V. (2015). The Role of Country Risk on Estimating of Share Earnings: An Application on Commercial Bank Registered to Istanbul Stock Exchange (BIST). Journal of Business &Economic Policy, 2(3), 92-101.
- John, A., & Lawton, T. C. (2017). International Political Risk Management: Perspectives, Approaches and Emerging Agendas, International Journal of Management Reviews. Doi: 10.1111/ijmr.12166
- Kara, E., & Karabiyik, L. (2015). The Effect of Country Risk on Stock Prices: An Application in Borsa Istanbul, Suleyman Demirel University The Journal of Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, 20(1), 225-239.
- Kaya, A., Gungor, B., & Ozcomak, M. S. (2014). Politik Risk Yatırımcının Dikkate Alması Gereken Bir Risk Midir? Borsa İstanbul Örneği, Gazi Üniversitesi İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Fakültesi Dergisi, 16(1), 74-87.
- Kim, H. Y., & Mei, J. P. (2001). What Makes the Stock Market Jump? An Analysis of Political Risk on Hong Kong Stock Returns, Journal of International Money and Finance, 20, 1003-1016.
- Lehkonen, H., & Heimonen, K. (2015). Democracy, Political Risks and Stock Market Performance, Journal of International Money and Finance, 59, 77-99.
- Mei, J., & Guo, L. (2004). Political Uncertainty, Financial Crisis and Market Volatility, European Financial Management, 10(4), 10(4), 639-657.
- Miller, K. D. (1992). A Framework for Integrated Risk Management in International Business, Journal of International Business Studies, 23(2), 311-331.
- Nazir, M. S., Younus, H., Kaleem, A. & Anwar, Z. (2014). Impact of Political Events on Stock Market Returns: Empirical Evidence from Pakistan, Journal of Economic and Administrative Sciences, 30(1), 60-78.
- Oral, I. O., & Yilmaz, C. (2017). Finansal ve Politik Risk Endeksinin BIST Sınai Endeksi Üzerindeki Etkisi, Karadeniz Uluslararası Bilimsel Dergi, 33, 192-202.
- Seker Invest (2018). https://www.sekeryatirim.com.tr/Raporlar/ozel_raporlar/Yaban c%C4%B1%20Pay%C4%B1%2005012018.pdf (Date of Access: 02/02/2018).
- Tukenmez, N. M., & Kutay, N. (2016). Ülke Riskinin Hisse Senetleri Getirileri Üzerine Etkisi: Türkiye ve Arjantin Piyasaları İçin Bir Karşılaştırma, Atatürk Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi, 20(2), 631-645.
- Ulusoy, T. (2008). Systematic Risk and Firm Financial Structure: Evidence on Istanbul Stock Exchange. The Business Review, Cambridge, 11(2), 226-231.
- Ulusoy, T. (2010). İMKB Endeks Öngörüsü İçin İleri Beslemeli Ağ Mimarisine Sahip Yapay Sinir Ağı Modellemesi, Uluslararası İktisadi ve İdari İncelemeler Dergisi, 3(5), 21-40.
- Ural, M. (2003). Finansal Krizler ve Türkiye, Dokuz Eylül Üniversitesi İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Fakültesi Dergisi, 18(1), 11-28.
- Yaprakli, S., & Gungor, B. (2007). Ülke Riskinin Hisse Senetleri Fiyatlarına Etkisi: İMKB 100 Endeksi Üzerine Bir Araştırma, Ankara Üniversitesi Siyasal Bilgiler Fakültesi Dergisi, 62(2), 199-218.