University of Economics in Bratislava, 1 Dolnozemska Street, 852 35 Bratislava, Slovakia
2nd International Scientific Conference – EMAN 2018 – Economics and Management: How to Cope With Disrupted Times, Ljubljana – Slovenia, March 22, 2018, CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS published by: Association of Economists and Managers of the Balkans, Belgrade, Serbia; Faculty of Management Koper, Slovenia; Doba Business School – Maribor, Slovenia; Integrated Business Faculty – Skopje, Macedonia; Faculty of Management – Zajecar, Serbia, ISBN 978-86-80194-11-0
Despite significant and irreplaceable role that small and medium – sized enterprises (SMEs) play in the Slovak economy, their access to sources of finance is difficult. The paper deals with the access of SMEs to bank loans, as it is their main external source of finance. Compared to large enterprises, SMEs are more likely to suffer from asymmetric information problems, and so from financing constraints. This situation was more pronounced after the outbreak of the financial crisis in 2009. Banks responded to the new situation by increased caution when they granted loans. The aim of the article is to analyze the development of loans to small and medium-sized enterprises in the Slovak Republic and subsequently draft the measures that could help improve the business environment of SMEs in Slovakia. The performed analysis suggests that we can identify differences in access to bank loans for SMEs and large enterprises and documents it in the individual development stages with concrete statistical data.
Small and medium – sized enterprises, loans, banks
- SBA. (2017). State of Small and Medium Enterprises 2015. https://www.sbagency.sk/en/slovak-business-agency
- Cressy, R. – Olofsson, Ch. (1997). European SME Financing. Small Business Economics, 2, pp. 87 – 96.
- Berger, A. – Udell, G. (1995). Relationship Lending and Lines of Credit in Small Firm Finance. Journal of Business, 3, pp. 351 – 382.
- Majková, M. (2011). Analýza bariér a faktorov financovania MSP v SR. Ekonomický časopis, 59, No. 10, pp. 1033 – 1049.
- SBA. (2016). State of Small and Medium Enterprises 2015. https://www.sbagency.sk/en/slovak-business-agency
- World Bank. (2007). Credit expansion in Emerging Europe: A cause for Concern? https://siteresources.worldbank.org
- World Bank. (2007). World Bank EU 8 + 2 Regular Economic Report PART II: Special Topic. https://siteresources.worldbank.org
- NBS. (2009). Survey on Supply and Demand on Lending Market. https://www.nbs.sk/en/financial-market-supervision/analysis-reports-and-publications-in-the-field-of-financial-market/survey-on-supply-and-demand-on-lending-market