Lecturer, Dr., Sinop University, The Gerze Vocational School, Program of Tourism and Hotel Management, Sinop/TURKEY
Associate Professor Dr., Kastamonu University, The Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, Department of Banking and Finance, Kastamonu/TURKEY
Assistant Professor Dr., Kastamonu University, The Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, Department of Business Administration, Kastamonu/TURKEY
2nd International Scientific Conference – EMAN 2018 – Economics and Management: How to Cope With Disrupted Times, Ljubljana – Slovenia, March 22, 2018, CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS published by: Association of Economists and Managers of the Balkans, Belgrade, Serbia; Faculty of Management Koper, Slovenia; Doba Business School – Maribor, Slovenia; Integrated Business Faculty – Skopje, Macedonia; Faculty of Management – Zajecar, Serbia, ISBN 978-86-80194-11-0
Innovation is defined as a change that makes money. Innovation increases the competitive power of businesses and provides significant advantages in the competition process by creating different products or services that are provided by the competitors. Innovation is more prominent in the manufacturing sector, however, the importance of innovation has also been increasing rapidly in the service industry in recent years. As the share of the banking sector increases in the service industry, the banks also gain an importance in the service industry. Thus, innovation in banking is very important in diversifying financial instruments and increasing productivity. Increased levels of financial success have been observed with the implementation of the financial innovation process in the banking sector. It is stated that the share of participation banking in the world banking sector is increasing day by day in the studies related to banking activities. Participation banking, also referred to as Islamic finance, is developing new financial instruments in accordance with Islamic rules to compete in the world banking sector. Participation banks, which offer interest-free banking services to their customers, have developed innovative products and are offering these services to their customers to provide a better quality service. From this point on, the first part of this study reveals the historical development of the participation banks from the beginning of their establishment up until today. The role of participation banking and its importance in the banking sector has been examined from a financial standpoint. In this study, innovation procedures in participation banks are explained. The effect innovation processes have on the financial income and expenses have been examined. Despite the increase in the incomes of the banks, it was seen that the innovative processes did not directly affect the profitability of the bank. It is recommended for new models to be developed for profitability-enhancing innovative processes.
Islamic Finance, Participation Banking, Innovation, Innovation Management
- Albaraka Turk. (2017). Albaraka 2016 Annual Report. Istanbul: Albaraka Turk Participation Bank Inc. Retrieved on 05.12.2017 from https://www.albaraka.com.tr/pdf/Albaraka-Turk-2016-Faaliyet-Raporu.pdf.
- Akten Curuk, S. (2013). Islami Finansin Turkiye’deki Gelisimi Mevcut Sorunlar ve Cozum Onerileri. Doctoral Thesis. Selcuk University Social Sciences Institute, Konya.
- Akhter, W., Pappas, V. and Khan, S. U. (2017). A Comparison of Islamic and Conventional Insurance Demand: Worldwide Evidence during the Global Finance Crisis. Research in International Business and Finance, 42, pp.1401-1412.
- Asutay, M. (2014). A Political Economy Approach to Islamic Economics: Systemic Understanding for an alternative Economic System. Research Journal of Politics, Economics and Management, 2 (4), pp.119-137.
- Bulut, H. and Er, B. (2012). Katilim Finansmani-Katilim Bankaciligi ve Girisim Sermayesi (3b.). Istanbul: Participation Banks Association of Turkey.
- Cam, A. V. (2015). The Determination of Deposit and Participation Banks’ Efficiency by Data Envelopment Analysis: A Research on Banks in Turkey. Turkish Economic Review, 2(3), pp.152-160.
- Canko, S. (2017). Odeme Teknolojilerinde “Turkiye Stratejisi”. Katilim Finans Dergisi, 1(2), pp.1-68. Retrieved on 11.28.2017 from https://www.tkbb.org.tr/Documents/Yonetmelikler/Katilim-finans-2.pdf.
- Cornaggia, J., Mao, Y., Tian, X. and Wolfe, B. (2015). Does Banking Competition Affect Innovation? Journal of Financial Economics, 115, pp.189-209.
- Donduren, H. (2008). Osmanli Tarihinde Bazi Faizsiz Kredi Uygulamalari ve Modern Turkiye’de Faizsiz Bankacilik Tecrubesi. Uludag Universitesi Ilahiyat Fakultesi Dergisi, 17 (1), pp.1-24.
- Goncuoglu, M. and Karaahmetoglu, M. (2014). Islamic Finance and Turkish Capital Markets. Course Note. Middle East Technical University. Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences Department of Business Administration, Ankara.
- Gundogdu, A. and Taskin, F.D. (2017). Analysis of Relationship Between Financial Innovations and The Performance of Turkish Bank System. International Review of Economcics and Management, 5(3), pp.16-32.
- Gunen, E. (2017). Albaraka Dunyanin Ilk Katilim Bankaciligi Startup Hizlandırma Merkezini Acti. Retrieved on 28.11.2017 from Fintechtime: https://fintechtime.com/tr/2017/06/albaraka-dunyanin-ilk-katilim-bankaciligi-startup-hizlandirma-merkezini-acti/.
- Imam, P. and Kpodar, K. (2016). Islamic Banking: Good for Growth? Economic Modelling, 59, pp.387-401.
- Kalayci, I. (2013). Katilim Bankaciligi: Mali Kesimde Nasil Bir Secenek? Uluslararasi Yonetim, Iktisat ve Isletme Dergisi, 9(19), 51-74.
- Kassim, S. (2016). Islamic Finance and Economics Growth: The Malaysian Experience. Global Finance Journal, 30, pp.66-76.
- Karahoyuk, M. (2013). Din ve Ekonomi Iliskisi. Felsefe ve Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, Autumn (16), pp.193-220.
- Kendirli, S., Aydin, Y. and Cagiran Kendirli, H., (2017). Kuresel Kriz Cercevesinde Katilim Bankalarinin ve Ticari Bankalarin Mali Performanslarinin Topsis Yontemiyle Analizi. Uluslararasi Katilimli 21. Finans Sempozyumu, Balikesir, 18-21 Ekim 2017, pp.455-466.
- Kusat, N. (2014). Modern Islami Finans Sektorunun Inovatif Gucu: Sukuk. Akademik Bakis Uluslararası Hakemli Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, (41), pp.1-22.
- Kuveyt Turk. (2017). Kuveyt Turk 2016 Annual Report. Istanbul: Kuveyt Turk Participation Bank Inc. Retrieved on 05.12.2017 from https://www.kuveytturk.com.tr/medium/document-file-763.vsf.
- Jaffar, M.A. and Musa, R. (2014). Determinants of Attitude towards Islamic Financing among Halal-Certified Micro and SMEs: A Preliminary Investigation. Procedia Social Behavioral Sciences, 130, pp.135-144.
- Okte, M. K. (2010). Fundamentals of Islamic Economy and Finance: Theory and Practice. Electronıc Journal of Social Sciences, 9(31), pp.180-208.
- Parlakkaya, R. and Curuk, S.A. (2011). Finansal Rasyolarin Katilim Bankalari ve Geleneksel Bankalar Arasinda Bir Tasnif Araci Olarak Kullanimi: Turkiye Ornegi. Ege Akademik Bakis, 11(3), pp.397-405.
- Pehlivan, P. (2016). Turkiye’de Katilim Bankaciligi ve Bankacilik Sektorundeki Onemi. Sosyal ve Ekonomik Arastirmalar Dergisi, 31, pp.296-324.
- Polat, A. (2009). Katılım Bankaciligi: Dunya Uygulamalarina Iliskin Sorunlar-Firsatlar; Turkiye Icin Projeksiyonlar. In A. Yabanli, Finansal Yenilik ve Acilimlari ile Katilim Bankaciligi (Vol.1, pp. 77-120). Istanbul: Turkiye Katilim Bankalari Birligi.
- Shaban, M., Duygun, M. and Fry, J. (2016). SME’s Lending and Islamic Finance. Is It a Win-Win Situation?, Economic Modelling, 55, pp.1-5.
- Sili, A. and Akten Curuk, S. (2013). Bir İdeal Toplum Bileseni Olarak Islam’ın Temel Ekonomik Ilkeleri. Maltepe University Publishing. Ekonomik, Toplumsal ve Siyasal Analiz Dergisi, 2, pp.1-20.
- Sahinli, M.A.and Kilinc, E. (2013). Inovasyon ve Inovasyon Gostergeleri: AB Ulkeleri ve Turkiye Karsilastirmasi. Selcuk University Iktisadi ve Idari Bilimler Fakultesi Sosyal ve Ekonomik Arastirmalar Dergisi, 13(25), pp.329-355.
- Tan, L.H., Chew, B.C. and Hamid, S.R. (2016). Service Innovation in Malaysian Banking Industry toward Sustainable Competitive Advantage through Environmentally and Socially Practices, Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, 224, pp.52-59.
- TDK. (2017). Guncel Turkce Sozluk. Retrieved on 24.11.2017 from https://www.tdk.gov.tr/index.php.
- TKBB. (2012). Faizsiz Bankacilik Ilkeleri ve Katilim Bankaciligi. Retrieved on 12.12.2017 from https://www.tkbb.org.tr/egitim-ve-conference-notlari.
- TKBB. (2017). Albaraka Turk Calısanlarina Girisimcilik Programi ile Destek Oluyor. Katilim Finans Dergisi, 1(3), pp.1-68. Retrieved on 28.11.2017 from https://www.tkbb.org.tr/Documents/Yonetmelikler/Katilim-finans-3-dergisi.pdf
- TKBB. (2017). Katilim Bankalari Kulturel Mirasi Gecmisten Gunumuze Aktariyor. Katilim Finans Dergisi, 1(3), pp.1-68. Retrieved on 28.11.2017 from https://www.tkbb.org.tr/Documents/Yonetmelikler/Katilim-finans-3-dergisi.pdf.
- TKBB. (2017). Kira Sertifikasi Piyasası Buyuyor. Katilim Finans Dergisi, 1(3), pp.1-68. Retrieved on 11.28.2017 from https://www.tkbb.org.tr/Documents/Yonetmelikler/Katilim-finans-3-dergisi.pdf.
- TKBB. (2016). Katilim Bankalari 2016, Participation Banks Association of Turkey, Annual Report, Istanbul.
- Turkiye Finans. (2017). Turkiye Finans 2016 Annual Report. Istanbul: Turkiye Finans Participation Bank Inc. Retrieved on 12.06.2017 from https://www.turkiyefinans.com.tr/Lists/FinansalRaporlar/Attachments/58/T%C3%BCrkiye%20Finans%202016%20Y%C4%B1l%C4%B1%20Faaliyet%20Raporu%20Fin.PDF.
- Tunc, H. (2010). Katilim Bankaciligi Felsefesi, Teorisi ve Turkiye Uygulamasi. Istanbul: Nesil Yayincilik.
- Yanpar, A. (2014). Islami Finans, Ilkeler, Araclar ve Kurumlar. Istanbul: Scala Yayincilik.
- Yardimcioglu, M., Ayricay, Y. and Coskun, S. (2014). Islami finans Cercevesinde Menkul Kiymetlestirilmis Varlik; Sukuk Dunya ve Turkiye Piyasasi Incelemesi. Kahramanmaras Sutcu Imam Universitesi Iktisadi ve Idari Bilimler Fakultesi Dergisi, 4(1), pp.157-174.
- Ziraat Participation (2017). Ziraat Participation 2016 Annual Report. Istanbul: Ziraat Bank Inc. Retrieved on 12.06.2017 from https://www.ziraatkatilim.com.tr/2016_Yili_Faaliyet_Raporu/pdf/tr-ziraat.pdf.